WordPress is the most used CMS and blogging platform in the world, and a new major version – WordPress 4.0 – is not far away.
Scheduled for release on August 27, 2014 – the WP development team are working hard on the new features, with beta versions already available for beta testers and developers.
WordPress 4.0 Beta 2 Download
WP 4.0 – What to Expect?
The upcoming version will have the following changes and new features, such as:
- Improved embedding from URLs. You will get previews of the embedded content in both the visual editor and the “insert from URL” function in the media modal. There will also be support for additional sites to embed content from, such as College Humour, Issuu, Mixcloud, and TED
- Media Library improvements, with a new grid view option in addition to the existing list view
- Enhanced plugin installation experience, and also improved plugin searching and plugin details viewing
- Improved internationalization, with the option to set the default language during installation process
- Intelligent resizing of the editor
- Improved keyboard and cursor interaction with the TinyMCE editor
- Widgets in the Site Customizer are now in a seperate panel
- Improved formatting functions
- Updated TinyMCE editor, which has better list indentation, and the return of the colour picker
- a massive list of bug fixes, which is constantly being worked on.
This is by no means a definitive list, but these are changes we know of so far.
You can also see a list of proposed changes for 4.0 here.
We also don’t recommend using Beta versions for live websites, but we do recommend developers to make use of it to test their plugins and themes for compatibility.
Do you know of additional features we’ve missed here?
Please let us know in the comments below, cheers!